1. Shenmen: I tend to think of ear Shenmen (translated as Spirit Gate) as energetically equivalent to Heart 7, Shenmen, in the body. In Oriental medicine, the Spirit is stored in the Heart. Like Heart 7, the Earth point of the Heart meridian, ear Shenmen has similar energetics in terms of grounding, balancing, and anchoring the Spirit. Therefore, Shenmen quiets the Heart, calms the Spirit, and puts the patient into a state of receptivity for treatment. Because of these energetics, Shenmen should be the first point treated in the ear for almost every ear prescription, with exceptions explored latter in the discussion of Shenmen.
In Oriental medicine, the Heart dominates the mind and Shenmen fulfills this function. Shenmen can be used to treat those problems pertaining to the Heart in Oriental medicine, such as insomnia, dream-disturbed sleep, palpitations, tightness in the chest, angina, and memory and concentration problems. Any Heart problem from both a Western or an Oriental perspective, with the exception of the contraindicated conditions, benefits from treatment with Shenmen.
Because of this connection to the mind, Shenmen is also a major point used in detoxification protocols for the symptoms of addiction withdrawal, such as restlessness and anxiety and the treatment of anxiety in general. “Shenmen has consistently been found as a core point in weight loss protocols for the same reasons.”1 (Anxiety and restlessness are common symptoms associated with the process of weight loss.) Shenmen is also a primary point for pain treatment. The Neijing (the Yellow Emperor's Classic of Internal Medicine, 500 to 300 B.C.) says, “When the Heart is serene, all pain is negligible.” It should be an integral point in any pain prescription and, indeed, can function in this way. It is oftentimes the key point in a pain management plan.
Because the Heart in Oriental medicine is connected to the eye system by way of its internal pathway, Shenmen is of benefit in the treatment of opthamological diseases. Shenmen is a primary point to reduce excess heat or inflammation. As such, it is a major point used to stop skin itching or breakouts that are often attributed to Heat in the Heart or Heat in the Blood because the Heart dominates the Blood.
Note/Contraindications: The doctors with whom I studied in Beijing claim that the only contraindications for Shenmen are congestive heart failure and bronchitis characterized by excess phlegm, not phlegm or dampness that may be part of other health disorders. The reason why Shenmen is contraindicated for these conditions is because, as a point with Earth energetics, it has a dampening effect. Stimulating Shenmen adds Dampness to these already serious illnesses characterized by Damp. Therefore, the aforementioned conditions could become
exacerbated and even more life threatening if Shenmen is used.
Because of these cautions, I have not used Shenmen in the ear to treat congestive heart failure or bronchitis with excess phlegm, but have selected other points for treatment with as much success as can be expected for these complicated problems. In my opinion it would be negligent to ignore those admonitions from ones who are more knowledgeable than myself where there could be a possible risk to the health of the patient.
2. Stop Wheezing: This is a primary point for the treatment of wheezing that accompanies asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and other respiratory or cardiovascular conditions. The Stop Wheezing point is especially effective when combined with the Dingchuan point in the ear, which also stops wheezing, and any of the Sympathetic points, which increase vasodilation and, thus, improve respiration.
3. Hypertension: Hypertension is an effective point to lower high blood pressure. If the variety of hypertension is due to Yang rising with True Heat manifestations vs. hypertension due to several other etiologies, bleeding the Hypertension point is particularly effective.
Hypertension point works synergistically with the ear points (Shenmen, Liver, Heart, and the Lower Blood Pressure Groove) to reduce high blood pressure. 4., 5., 6. Sympathetic: Sympathetic is another point like Shenmen used to treat multiple conditions. It is directly related to the regulation of the nervous system.
The autonomic nervous system is made up of sympathetic and parasympathetic branches. Joseph Helms writes that the auricle displays the only external manifestation of the vagus nerve and thereby allows access to the functions of the autonomic nervous system.2 The vagus nerve connects with the larynx, bronchii, heart, pancreas, liver, kidneys, and intestines. It exerts a direct influence on the regulation of stress.
The sympathetic branch corresponds to stress, flight, and fright reactions. Thus, the Sympathetic point when tonified stimulates the dilation of the blood vessels. Because of this ability, it is considered a primary point for pain since certain types of pain, such as fixed, stabbing, boring pain, in Oriental medicine is considered caused by constriction or Blood Stagnation, which results in pain.
The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system governs everyday organ functioning. When the sympathetic branch is dominant, the parasympathetic branch is suppressed. Sedating the Sympathetic point will assist in balancing both branches of the nervous
system Stimulation of this point causes the Qi energy to irrigate the cerebral meninges so that the point can be used to treat shock, trauma, and any nervous system disorder.
7. Uterus/Prostate (Seminal Vesicle): This point can be used for all types of reproductive problems in both genders. Gynecological disorders, such as dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, pelvic inflammatory disease, uterine cysts, fibroid tumors, and infertility, are treated with this point. For men, this point can be used to relieve swelling or contracture of the scrotum, and for testicular pain and prostate problems.
8. Constipation: This point can relieve constipation and impacted stools. It can be used to manage diverticulitis, diverticulosis, and sluggish bowels.
9. Hepatitis: This is one of several hepatitis points found in the ear, including point H 44. The Hepatitis point helps with the treatment of hepatitis when used along with the Liver, Spleen, and other Hepatitis points located in the ear.
10. Hip Joint: This point effectively relieves hip joint pain due to various etiologies.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Holle everybody welcome to the acupunctureschoolonline.com. My name is Mo, I hope discuss about acupuncture with everybody! Hope you can find what you want in my website.If you have questions , please click here --Our A&Q system.http://ask.acupunctureschoolonline.com